- This event has passed.
Transgender Awareness in Sport
14th November 2018 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pmFree
Transgender Awareness in SportTransgender Awareness Week is typically observed the second week of November, leading up to the Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDoR), which memorialises victims of transphobic violence. TDoR occurs annually on 20 November when transgender advocates raise awareness of the transgender community through education and advocacy activities. Proposal In support of Transgender Awareness Week, UK Athletics and the Home Countries (England Athletics, Athletics Northern Ireland, Welsh Athletics and ScottishAthletics) in collaboration with Vercida will deliver an event to help raise the visibility of transgender and gender non-conforming people, and address the issues transgender people face in society and sport through a panel discussion. The evening will offer an opportunity to network and share information including updated transgender guidelines in sport.
18:00 Networking reception 18.30 Guests to be seated 18:40 Welcome by Phil Smith, Sport England LGBT+ Executive Champion 18:50 Chair – Panel discussion led Chair 19:40 Q&A from the floor 19:55 Wrapping up by Host or representative from UKA or HC’s 20:00 – 21:00 Networking reception continues
- David Brown CBE, UKA Welfare Lead
- Joanne Lockwood – https://seechangehappen.co.uk/
- Jacqui Gavin – https://www.linkedin.com/in/jacquigavin/
- Katherine Conway, Aon Head of Diversity & Inclusion
Topics of discussion
- Issues/barriers transgender individuals experience
- Rules and regulations for transgender athletes
- Support offered by NGB’s for transgender athletes (guidelines)
- Personal experience from the transgender panel members and their journey